"Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a poison control center right away."
The above warning is found on every tube of toothpaste alerting parents of the dangers of fluoride ingestion. Small children can be seriously injured - even killed - by fluoride poisoning.
Ingesting too much fluoride (found in water or toothpaste) can damage tooth enamel in young children. Be informed. You can have clean teeth without the use of fluoride.
It is the action of the toothbrush, not the toothpaste that really cleans our teeth. You can train children at an early age that they do not need to have a mouth full of "foam" to be cleaning their teeth effectively. Brushing at least twice a day, flossing, and tongue scraping are positive habits to form in children.
The Wizard of Herbs says see:
Sunshine Brite Toothpaste
Black Walnut (can be made into a paste)